The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) was founded in 2010 by WWF and IDH (The Sustainable Trade Initiative) to transform aquaculture towards environmental sustainability and social responsibility. The ASC aims to be the world’s leading certification and labelling programme for responsibly farmed seafood and is working globally with all stakeholders in the value chain including farmers, processers, retailers, governments, NGOs and consumers. It is intended that attaining ASC certification will:
1) Enable the Belize shrimp farmers to achieve a competitive advantage and privileged access to a high-value market;
2) Provide wider benefits by enabling farms to reduce negative impacts on the surrounding environment; and
3) Promote positive community benefit and social responsibility.
The ASC standards cover 7 main principles, with over 30 respective criteria and 100 indicators of compliance.
- Comply with all applicable national laws and local regulations
- Site farms in environmentally suitable locations while conserving local biodiversity, natural habitat and ecosystem function
- Develop and operate farms with consideration for surrounding communities
- Operate farms with responsible labour practices
- Manage shrimp health in a responsible manner
- Manage brood stock origin, stock selection, and effects of stock management
- Use resources in an environmentally efficient and responsible manner
How it works
- Farmers review the ASC shrimp standards and ASC shrimp standard check list
- Framer contracts an ASC accredited Conformity Assessment Body (CAB)
- CAB informs ASC and ASI about the planned audit (30 days before audit)
- ASC publishes audit dates on ASC website
- CAB sends audit information to farms, collects list of stakeholders and carries out the assessment.
- CAB processes audit findings and sends the draft report to ASC
- ASC publishes the draft report on ASC website
- Stakeholders can provide comment on the draft report addressing the CAB directly
- Cab processes stakeholder input
- CAB takes certification decision
- CAB sends final certification report and certificates to ASC
- ASC publishes certification report and certificates on ASC website
ASC certified Members
- Aqua Mar Belize Ltd.
- Bel Euro Aquaculture Ltd.
- Belize Aquaculture Ltd.
- Cardelli Farms Ltd.
- Paradise Shrimp Farm C.A. Ltd.
- Royal Mayan Shrimp Farms Ltd.
- Tex Mar Ltd.
- Tropical Aquaculture investment ltd.
Members in assessment
- Haney Shrimp farm
- 4Hands Shrimp Farm
- Golden Crown Shrimp Farm